Friday, July 19, 2013
Located on the Arabian Peninsula, Dubai is today one of the most visited places of the world and is fast becoming an emerging economic leader in the world economy. With its strategic location, the place was an important port even during the ancient times. However, there are many fun facts about this place that you may hardly believe to be associated with such a small place. Lets take a peep into this fascinating Arab world and get to know some of its secrets that make it even more attractive for the travelers from around the world.
· Less than 20 percent of total Dubai’s population comprise of actual locals. This has resulted due to an exponential immigration leading to the local Emirati population almost being drowned out. However, there is little strife among the people as everyone gets along with everyone else, thus leading to a more liberal attitude towards culture and dressing. Crime Rate is almost equal to zero with racial tensions unheard of in the city. Though the place still retains a distinct Arabic and Bedouin influence, yet the large foreign influx has lent a cosmopolitan culture to the society.
· Located on the side of Dubai Creek is the most famous gold market also known as the Gold Souk. With over 250 gold shops including several world class top brands, the place offers bargains on gold jewelry shopping unmatched anywhere else in the world.
· Keeping in line with the tag of Dubai fast becoming the shopping capital of the world, the place is also home to the Dubai Mall, the biggest shopping mall in the world in terms of area. Housing the Discovery Center and the Aquarium, the place also holds the unique world record for having the largest acrylic panel too.
· Built to resemble the shape of a dhow sail, experience life king size at Burj Al Arab, one of the most luxurious hotels of world as well as the fourth tallest one. Built on an artificial island and having a lobby taller than the Statue of Liberty, the place is luxury personified. Al Mahara, one of the restaurants housed in the hotel, features a massive acrylic glass seawater aquarium. The entry to the hotel can only be made through a simulated submarine voyage.
· Others on the list of tallest buildings are the world’s tallest residential building named as 23 Marina as well as the tallest hotel of the world namely the Rose Tower are also located in Dubai.
· Talking of the tallest skyscrapers, how can we miss the majestic Burj Khalifa, the tallest man made structure on the face of the Earth that is as lofty as two Empire State buildings on top of each other. Boasting of the highest mosque, the highest restaurant, the highest nightclub and the highest observation deck of the world, the place is treat for the eyes as it offers views like none other. Get to watch the sun going down twice during a day- once while watching the sunset from the base and then take a ride up and get to see the same sun still setting from the observation deck!!!
· Palm Islands, a man made artificial group of islands being made through land reclamation techniques, are a sight to behold. The place, after completion, shall be the biggest archipelago of the world housing luxury hotels, beachfront properties, entertainment centers, malls, theme parks and much more.
· Another interesting fact to know about Dubai is that the city is that there is no concept of street addresses in the place. Also, you do not have to pay any income tax or personal tax to the administration!!!
Keeping these facts in the mind, it may well be understood now why Dubai is climbing up the tourism ladder and is becoming the holiday destination for vacationers from around the world.