Saturday, July 20, 2013
Dubai Travel Tips
DUBAI TRAVEL TIPS
Dubai, very much like any other large global city, it has its own unique set of rules and regulations that Westerners are not always aware of on their first visit. Here are five things to be aware of if you are taking luxury Dubai holidays.
Things not to do in Dubai:
1. Public shows of affection are strictly prohibited in Dubai, Yes you can hold hands but kissing between lovers should not be done in public.
2. Drinking alcohol in public is outlawed, if you are after a drinking holiday with a group of friends, Dubai may not be for you. Tourists can consume alcohol in licensed hotels and bars/restaurants/pubs. Non Muslim Expats can buy alcohol in special liquor stores if they hold a liquor license.
3. Exposing any skin from the neck down is frowned upon in Middle-Eastern countries, however In Dubai; the rules are relaxed slightly in an effort to be more tourists friendly. Beachwear should be worn on the beach and otherwise you should be dressed "normal", means no superfine skirt, no belly free shirts, no shorts while shopping etc
4. Dubai, it has been known for people to be arrested for making an obscene gesture therefore never raise your middle finger. Remain polite and courteous at all times. Avoid jaywalking the streets. If caught you have to pay a fine.
5. Drug possession is serious crime in any country, but in Dubai, it can lead to imprisonment and even a death sentence.
1. Dubai is known for really cheap gold, government keeps tight control over the quality of all the merchandise, so rest assured that your purchases will be genuine.
2. If something in the window catches your fancy, be sure to barter — persistent protest capped with a walkway will get merchants to drop their asking price by as much as half.
3. Golf is an obsession in Dubai. If you want to rub elbows with celebrities on the green, try the courses designed in Dubai.
4. The centerpiece of Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo is its massive tank inhabited by 33,000 creatures such as sharks, rats and countless multi-colored tropical fish. Get up close and personal with the sharks in the walk-through tunnel.
5. Experience the awesome Arabian wilderness on a desert safari. Activities to try out in the desert include ‘dune bashing’ in big 4x4 jeeps, dune bogging and sand skiing.