Saturday, December 07, 2013
Interesting Facts about Hong Kong
There are few modern cities in the world that can actually hold might in front of the feng shui inspired skyscrapers, hilly topography and blue waters. With some of the best panoramic views of the world, the city is an enigma with its ancient rituals and action movies. Here are some very interesting facts about this beautiful city that you would be thrilled to know:
· Hong Kong has the most number of skyscrapers within its boundaries. It has over 144 skyscrapers which are almost double the number of that standing in New York.
· The term ‘Hong Kong’ means ‘fragrant harbor’. The place has been so named due to its various deep sea water ports that act as a major export and import hubs both for the national as well as international business community.
· The whole of the city is built keeping Feng Shui in mind. In fact, whenever there is any new building th
· There is a popular belief that eating noodles are a sign of long life. So, on a person’s birthday, it is considered to be a blessing to eat noodles as a mark of good life.
· The population density of the city is said to be so high that the schools have to work two shifts a day. The first shift starts in the morning and ends in the noon while the other starts in the noon and ends in the evening. There is also the issue of burying these people in the cemeteries. In fact, there is so little space in the graveyards that the graves have to be stacked on top of each other.
· The city of Hong Kong is a green area in totality. Around three quarters of the city consists of greenery in the form of gardens, parks , scenic areas and woodlands.
· The locals of the city also one of the most intelligent in the world according to their IQ average. They have the highest IQ average of over 107 in the world.
· In terms of tourist influx, Hong Kong is a popular choice for people all over the world. Going according to official figures, over 28 million tourists visited the place in 2011 making it one of most visited tourist destinations of the world.
· Hong Kong has the largest fleet of double decker tram cars in the world that ply within its boundaries.
· Instead of being one single area, Hong Kong is in fact made of 200 islands as well as some other polders which also includes land that has been reclaimed from the sea.
· The population density of the city is 6540 people for every square kilometre. That is a pretty high figure!
Figuring some pretty interesting attractions, Hong Kong is an amazing place to visit that offers a multitude of colourful cultures and panoramas at a single place. The above mentioned interesting facts about the city only add to its allure making it a memorable addition to your travel itinerary. So, go visit this beautiful yet enigmatic place that is sure to add a feather to your vacation plans.